Open topic with navigation
How to add a new shift
The new shift can be set up within the 'Customize schedule' section of the 'Scheduler' portal menu. I've included instructions below.
Manage Day Types
Manage Cycles (Optional)
Title & Key (Optional)
- In the 'Manage Shifts' screen, the new shift can be added.
- Click on the 'Add Shift' button to create a new shift.
- After selecting your options, click 'Save' to add the new shift.
The relationships between one scheduled shift and all other shifts that could be worked on the same day and the subsequent two days are shown.
- In the 'Shift Relations' screen, click on 'Edit Relation' to adjust the existing shift relation.
- Select the new shift name from the 'Shift' menu.
- Update the shift status (Okay, Prefer, Conflict, High Dislike, Dislike) for the next day and two days later as if you were scheduled to work this shift.
- Review the other shifts to make sure the status to work is updated with the new shift.
- Then, click on 'Save Changes' to apply the settings.
Manage Day Types
The Day Types are used to inform the Scheduler about which shifts are normally scheduled on which days of the week. What day of the week are your shifts used?
- In the 'Manage Day Types' screen, select the 'Edit Day Type' button to make changes to the existing Day Types.
- The 'Day Type Name', 'Days Used' can be modified as needed.
- A check box will be listed next to the new shift name in the 'Shifts Used' section.
- Click 'Save' to apply the change.
- The 'Summary categories' window will open. Here you'll be able to enter in the 'Category type', 'Name', 'Statistic type', and 'Shifts'.
- Click the 'Save' button to add the new Category to the list.
- In the 'Manage Providers' screen, click on 'Provider Information' to manage the shift preferences if a physician can't work the new shift.
- Next, to the provider's name in the 'Can't Do shifts' column, click on the grid.
- In the pop up menu, mark the new shift as 'Can't Do. for the provider.
- Repeat steps for other providers with 'Can't Do' shift preferences.
- Lastly, click 'Save Changes' to update.
- Some emergency departments schedule shifts by following fixed, recurrent sequences (cycles) of scheduled shifts and/or days off. Month based cycles scheduling entries affect only one day of each scheduled month.
- Update your 'Monthly' or 'Day cycles' for providers with the new shift.
- Select 'Monthly cycles' or 'Day cycles' to edit the cycle.
- Click 'Edit Monthly Cycle' to assign the new shift to a cycle.
- Select 'Edit Day Cycle' to assign the new shift to a cycle.
Print Settings (add shift line)
- Specify how your shifts should be printed in the 'Print Settings' screen.
- 'Site' menu is optional.
- In the 'Day Type', click on the 3 lines icon.
- Choose the 'Add or edit' selection from the menu.
- Select the new shift name from the 'Name' drop down menu.
- The 'Print Line' will be default unless modified.
- Change the 'Letter Case' and the 'Line Portion' to your preference.
- Select the 'OK' button.
- Once you're finished, updating the 'Print Settings' click 'Save Changes' to apply.
Display Settings (new shift line adds by default)
- Specify how your shifts should be displayed.
- Click on 'Copy Print Settings' to transfer settings from the 'Print Settings'.
- Once you're finished, updating the Display Settings click 'Save Changes' to apply.
Title & Key
This area of text is intended as a key or guide to your schedule and is permanently labeled to that effect with the words Schedule Key when printed. You can either accept or modify the Formatted key created by the Scheduler, create a Freeform key that continues with whatever conventions you are using on your current schedule, or you can use both.
- Select 'Title & Key' from the 'Scheduler' portal menu
- 'Site' name drop down menu (Optional)
- Then, click the 'Defaults' button to add the new shift in the 'Formatted key'.
- Update the 'Free form key' with the new shift.
- Lastly, click the 'Save' button to apply the change.
- The new shift settings will be applied to any future schedules and can also, be added to existing schedules using the 'Change shifts' and 'Reset format' tools.